- For understanding wirting proposals is always a big issue in our group, you first have to have a basic understanding of the provision of finance of a professorship. A professor typically has a fixed annual budget which she/he negotiated with the university. With this budget staff can be employed, such as secretaries, researchers, etc. and acquisitions of hard- software , travelling expenses, etc. ... can be made. This kind of money is a more or less regular and fixed, which is why staff paid via "Haushaltsmittel" (we oftenr eferr to this as "Haushalt", read: budget funds) can principally be employed permanently with nothing to worry about.
- This however, strictly limits your size as a research group. Beyond your budget, a professorship as basically two more options of raising money vie external funds: 1. Direct paid cooperations or orders from industrial partners, or 2. applying for research grants.
- In Germany and Europe, a lot of research is publicly funded by most different facilities. These provide announcements (most times published via their websites), inviting universities and enterprises to apply for research grants.
- Setting up an application for a research grant is "writing a proposal". Depending on the facility and announcement in question, while generally following a similar process, highly individual and very confusing for beginners.
- specific field, in which research goals must be set individually per project.
- different duration and budget.
- This way, a group can grow beyond the staff financed via budget funds.
- However, these projects are limited in time and budget, which makes it necessary to constantly write new proposals, to be able to sustain the employment of all group members.
- You too, most likely are (or will be at some point in time during your phd here) employed via an external research grant.
- Everybody writes for everyone. Writing proposlas thus is not just keeping your job, but a kind of community services to all of us!
this is not a step by step guide, but should provide a general idea what it means and takes to write a proposal
, because often times proposals are refused and can be reused in later announcements
- With this wiki, we want to provide oyu a brief overview on what it takes to write a proposal.
- We hope you find it useful! If not, please contribute to improving this wiki!
- Ask everyone, write comments, extend.